Looking for how to get your legs all strong, toned and sexy. These simple but effective exercises will take you through how to tone your legs fast, within a month.
How to Tone your Legs
Has shopping for a new pair of designer jeans, shorts, pants and skirts become a nightmare as nothing within your favorite store seems to fit anymore. The idea of shopping tends to be a pass time activity rather than a hobby you enjoy with friends and look forward too. At times the shopping experience can be a little bit embarrassing especially if the customer attendant at department store suddenly kills your shopping enthusiasm.” Excuse me we have nothing that fit you for now at the store”.
For relatively skinny individuals you only find pants that fit right in the kid’s section while big people with an immense pair of legs have a tendency of looking for clothes designer to tailor make pants that just fit right.
The human legs are a very important and major body part that we use to perform an everyday function such as walking, running or cycling and it also stores the biggest muscle, the gluteus Maximus. The issue of well-toned legs tends to affect men and women in equal proportion though men tend to have an easy pass on this issues as the world is more centered and judgmental on women.
The common misconception among most women is that having long, well defined and toned legs is a symbol of sexiness, beauty, boldness and a fashion accessory. In some sections, it is understood that when one has a well-toned leg and is wearing a short skirt one looks taller.
Leg toning can be achieved through consistent training and proper diet. The process is initially hard and tiresome, but the results are rewarding as exercising not only helps tone the legs it is a sure way of reducing body fat, gaining strength and reducing chances of health related sickness.
Exercise- Toning and Slimming Exercises for Legs
According to research done by on body fat composition the thighs and butt are the main fat storage spots, and when one is engaging in the fat burning process, usually it is this spots that fat comes out last. However, one can engage in activities and focus on physical movements that specifically help burn fat and tone the legs. Essentially leg exercise can be performed at the gym or a home, and if done in correct form and intensity they help in shaping the legs, so there is no excuse for you not to rock a pair short and mini skirt.
How to Tone your Legs with Squats
The squats exercise is a sure way of helping in toning the legs as the exercise if done in full intensity, under different variations and correct form helps to target all the major muscles of the lower body. Squats also help in reducing body fat and building overall explosive strength for proper walking, standing and running.
How to perform squats for perfect legs
- Stand in upright position shoulder width apart with the toes pointing outward.
- Spread the back muscle to form a straight line and ensure that the head is facing forward and parallel to the ground.
- Bend the knees pressing backward with the butt and arch your back to form a straight line.
- Maintain an upright chest position and move your body down while squeezing the glutes muscles
- ensure that the thighs are parallel to the ground as you move down to form a right angle and pause for a few second while you exhale.
- The thighs should be parallel to the ground.
- Use the glutes muscles to push your body back to the original.
- Repeat the exercise for 12- 15 reps until exhaustion.
- For the high-intensity squat workout, you can perform the squat exercise at the gym while holding a barbell bar with weight resting on the shoulders.
Jump squats to tone legs and get rid of cellulite
This exercise is specifically useful as it is a high-intensity routine that helps burn fat, make the heart pump faster for greater blood circulation.
- Squat bending your knees and arching your back backward.
- Stretch the hands downwards to touch your toes.
- While in this position jump from the ground as far as you can and return to the normal starting position.
- Perform the exercise until exhaustion.
Leg Toning with Lunges
- Stand in a scissor-like stand (splitting stance). With the lead leg forward and the rear leg back.
- The toes and feet should be facing forwards and outwards.
- With a straight back, bend the rear knee slowly to the floor lowering into a lunge.
- Ensure that the rear and front legs form a right angle position.
- Use your lower body muscles the hamstring, glutes abductor muscles and engage the core muscle in pushing yourself back to the starting position.
- Perform the exercise until exhaustion.
Lunges exercise can be done using weights(dumbbells) for maximum intensity. Variation of lunges is essentially important to isolate the muscles for high intensity and tension.
Standing Calves Raises exercise
- Stand with the toes on a slightly raised surface(stairs) preferably 4-6 inch above the ground. The heel of your toes should be on the edge of the surface.
- Push the body up using the heel until the body stands with the tip of your toes, and the calves are entirely stretched.
- Pause for a few seconds then gently lower the heels below the raised surface and immediately push back to stand on the toes.
- Repeatedly perform this exercise until exhaustion.
The exercise can be done with while holding a pair of dumbbell on both hands.
Hip bridges exercise for Reducing Thighs
This exercise helps in targeting the three major gluteus muscles to help tone the legs.
How to perform the hip bridge exercise
- Lie with your back flat on the ground.
- Bend the knees and ensure that the feet are flat on the ground.
- Raise the hips from the ground while you squeeze the glutes and the core muscle.
- Ensure that the body makes a straight line from the knees up to the shoulder.
- Lower the body back to the ground.
- Repeat the exercise until exhaustion.
You can perform the calves raises exercise using weights resting on your abdomen.
How to Tone your Legs with Deadlifts
Deadlift help in muscle toning essential isolation and generating tension on the targeted muscle group. When performing deadlift exercise, it engages the core, hamstring, and gluteus muscles for growth and muscle toning.
Steps to follow when performing a deadlift exercises?
- Add preferred weights on a barbell bar.
- Stand upright with the feet at shoulder with
- Both feet should be placed underneath the barbell, and the balls of the feet should be placed directly beneath the bar.
- Aline both the knees and toes in a slightly outward position for greater stability and easier movement.
- Squat using the knees and clutch onto the bar with the grip slightly wider than the shoulder.
- Move down your hips to ensure that the thighs are parallel to the floor. Ensure that the back is straight and flat while the chin and face are aligned forward facing straight ahead.
- Lift the bar from the floor, stand up while moving the shoulders and hips upward concurrently and maintain a flat back. While at this position pause for a moment and
- Lower the bar gradually back to the floor using your glutes muscles to perform the upward and downward movement. You should make sure you make the butt stick out while lowering to the ground.
Repeat the exercise to complete until exhaustion.
High-intensity cardiovascular exercise helps in fat loss, calories burning and body toning. While performing cardiovascular exercise, it is important that the blood pumps faster for fat loss and muscle definition. The workout can be done with different variations with the use of full range of motion and concentration to help target the muscles fiber for maximum growth.
Health experts and the CDC recommend that 300 minutes of high-intensity workout per week is enough. Specifically incorporate cardiovascular workouts such as kickboxing, running, outdoor climbing and cycling that target the use of the legs to help in muscle toning them.
Health foods to consume for leg toning
Healthy foods rich in all nutrients is an important fuel for muscle fiber repair and muscle growth as they help replenish the muscles. Depending on your overall objective be it gaining weight or reducing fats around the legs so as to tone them healthy diet should be exercised.
Proteins is an important dietary for growth however the intake should be in moderation to avoid excessive digestion of proteins. According to research done by the US department of health, women should target at least 170 g of protein per day while men should target at least 198 g of protein. Food rich in protein nutrients includes fish, soya nuts, beans, salmon, legumes, and turkey.
Fats. Foods rich in good fats are essential for muscle growth. Target foods rich in good fats to help in better overall body fat composition. Sources of good fat include nuts, peanut butter, fish fats and almond butter.
Vegetables. In essence, vegetables such as broccoli, kale, spinach, green vegetables, and blueberries are a good source of antioxidation, nutrients, and vitamins that help in muscle growth. They aid in muscle repair after workout thus may help leg toning and muscle growth.
Reduce the Intake of Calories and Sugary Foods
For effective results in leg toning, it is important that you cut the intake of calories to roughly 200 -400 calories daily. Excessive calories in the body are stored as body fats. Consume calories that can fuel the body in everyday activities such as walking, running. Completely avoid processed foods rich in sugar such as cookies, cakes and replace them with fruits.
Drink Plenty of Water and Drinks
When engaging in high-intensity workout the body needs proper hydration to transport glucose to the blood for working muscle fuel. Water and hydrated fluids help in cushioning the joints and regulating body temperature. Drinks such as water, low-fat milk, fruit and vegetable drinks are useful hydrating fluids.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2013). How much physical activity do adults need? 2011.